This course will provide fundamental knowledge and hands-on experience for practicing sustainability in construction sector. The aim of the course is highlighting the environmental, social and economic impacts of buildings and built environment and the importance of initiatives and aspirations that will drive the transformation of the construction sector in future.
This course explains drivers of sustainability in construction and review sustainability policies. Аlso, it provides an overview of the current green rating systems for buildings.
To deepen the understanding of the topic and its importance, variety of examples of sustainable construction as well as case studies of best sustainable practices and future trends of sustainable construction will be demonstrated.
Topics covered in the course are:
- Sustainability as a general concept and its importance in the construction sector
- Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
- Building and environmental legislation relevant to sustainability in construction industry
- Sustainable waste management in construction
- Circular Economy for a Sustainable Built Environment
This course includes:
- 9 hours of video material
- Downloadable resources
- Applied learning project
- Case studies
- Certificate of completion
Who is this course for?
- This course is intended for students and professionals in AEC sector.
- Professionals (engineers, architects),
- Managers in companies (design, consultancy, construction),
- Public administration in charge of policies in construction,
- Investors of public and private assets,
- Waste collection and processing companies,
- Waste management utilities.
- EQF 5
Upon successful completion of this course, participants will achieve the following learning objectives:
- Identify the concept of sustainability
- Recall the basic principles of the greenhouse effect
- Describe sustainability in today’s life
- List all 17 Sustainable Development Goals
- Analyse how to implement 4 relevant SDGs (9,11,12 and 13) in construction
- Explain the key initiatives and aspirations that will drive the transformation of the construction sector in future and relevant regional and national documents
- Identify the concept of circular economy in construction
- Estimate sources of waste in the construction sector
- Demonstrate the usefulness of industrial waste materials as new construction materials and the good practices that will help construction companies build circular business models.
- Compare technical, technological, and administrative possibilities based on SRM
- Identify the principles of the circular economy
- Summarise the concept of circular economy in construction
- Identify economic benefits of circular economy in construction
- Recognise business models to support circular economy in construction
- Describe most common barriers for social acceptance of circular economy in buildings
Skills you will gain